5:50 AM: I wake up ten minutes before my alarm goes off. I shouldn’t be…
23 Things I’ve Learned about Agency Life in 23 Years
- Acknowledge and distill each day what you can improve upon (10%) and then focus on the positives and practice/replay those moments (90%).
- Be in the moment. There is no more important conversation than the one you are having.
- Leave your laptop and cell phone in your office during meetings. It’s amazing what you absorb without those distractions.
- Love what you do. I look forward to coming to work everyday.
- Take a vacation. People often need a break from you as much as you need a vacation from them.
- If you don’t love the brand you are working on, work on a different brand. Be in love.
- There is no better client than your current client, and you should always treat them as such.
- As an agency owner, work ON your business more than IN your business.
- Agency life is not for everyone; those who succeed are cut from a special cloth.
- Simplicity of thought and ideas often wins the day.
- Clients are people too.
- Think like a client.
- There are a lot of ways to get to a finish line; let your team find their path.
- Never worry about anyone stealing your ideas or copycatting. It is all about the execution and results and that can’t be duplicated
- Five minutes before a meeting is on time.
- Don’t drink and tweet!
- You are the brand of you.
- Make note of any concepts or terms you hear that you don’t understand, then research it.
- Embrace silence in tricky conversations; the truth often follows.
- Be proactive, not reactive.
- When confronted with a situation, Pause, Plan & Proceed.
- Wine is way better than whine.
- Skate to the puck.
What is your favorite piece of advice? Let us know in the comments below!