Dawn Turner is a beauty industry veteran, with over 23 years of experience working with…
Meet Stas Chirkov, Founder of Blunt Skincare
It all started in a lab when he was a chemist for L’Oreal. Flash forward to April 2019, Stas Chirkov has taken his knowledge of product development and love for cannabinoids to create Blunt Skincare. Read more about his line of CBD facial oils and what it took to launch his own skincare brand in the industry.
- My name is: Stas Chirkov
- My social handles are: @blunt.skincare | @stasschi
- Find my website at: bluntskincare.com
1. Tell us a little about yourself. How did you first get your start in the beauty world?
I was born and raised in one of the coldest places on earth – Yakutsk is a town in Siberia region in Russia. I remember the minus 50 degree winters! I studied chemistry in Moscow and right after graduation, I moved to New York City. I started my career in the beauty industry as a chemist at L’Oreal and immediately fell in love with the science behind cosmetic products. I continued my career as an engineer and enjoyed bringing new products to life. I worked at Johnson & Johnson and was part of the discontinuation of plastic microbeads where I researched what chemicals can be harmful to the environment.
The rest of my career I spent concepting and launching new products for beauty brands and loved every minute of it! There is a lot that goes into creating a next cult-favorite product (market trends, ingredients, beautiful packaging and more!) Fast forward to April 2019, I launched Blunt skincare — a 420-friendly beauty brand that combines innovative, cosmetic chemistry with cannabis.
2. What does a typical day in your life look like?
Not to sound cliché but every day is dramatically different. Photoshoots today and formulating new concepts in the lab the next day. In general, I like to start my day with a 30-minute run and a healthy breakfast. I work throughout the day in order to get more stuff done. That way I have more time in the evening to rest, get together with friends and FaceTime with my family.
3. Your skincare line focuses on using natural, high-quality ingredients. What has the importance of clean beauty meant to you and your company?
Importance of clean beauty was at the heart of creating Blunt skincare. The brand’s name was purposely intended to impart the brand’s mission of authenticity and openness. We will not sugarcoat it if the ingredient is harmful to a customer or the environment, we call it out.
4. What is one thing you have accomplished in your career that you’re extremely proud of and what advice do you have for others like you?
I am proud that I was able to shift my career in different directions – from science, engineering to marketing. It has been very useful while creating Blunt. My advice is to go after your dreams! While the industry is very competitive, it also celebrates diversity and different voices. Be BLUNT and be you!
5. Hemp seed oil and CBD are currently taking off in the skincare and beauty industry. What made you want to create your own line of cruelty-free face oils?
As a cannabis user, chemist and beauty product developer, I saw the need for a beauty brand that celebrates cannabis and specializes in researching cannabinoids for skincare benefits.
6. What are your goals for the future of Blunt Skincare in 2019 and beyond and what do you see for the industry’s future?
Our main goal is to give people of all skin types clear, smooth and radiant skin. Blunt will continue adding new products and expand as we grow. In the hemp/CBD industry, we will see more research and more products with other cannabinoids such as CBG (Cannabigerol), CBC (Cannabichromene), CBN (Cannabinol), etc.
7. Okay, we have to ask – what’s in your makeup bag?
Our entire cannabis face oil collection is permanently in my makeup bag! I also carry Florapy sheet masks for a quick glow-up, stick concealer and eye cream. I am always testing new formulas and my makeup bag is full of lab samples.
This interview has been edited and condensed.
Interested in learning more from professionals in the digital marketing and beauty industries? Check out the rest of our As Told By series.