A single mother and breast cancer survivor, Cashmere Nicole took these challenges as inspiration to…
Meet Nicole Weisman from Curves to Contour
It all started with a beauty obsession. Nicole Weisman wanted an outlet where she could express her passion and more importantly, spread body positivity. Through her YouTube channel and Instagram page, Nicole makes a point to share fashion and beauty advice for curvier woman. Although online bullying is still a major issue in the social media space, Nicole is constantly amazed by her reader’s positivity. Keep reading to learn more about how Nicole has learned to stay positive being a plus-size beauty blogger, plus more on her best on-the-go beauty tricks!
- My name is: Nicole Weisman
- My social handles are: @curvestocontour
- Find my website at: www.curvestocontour.com
1. Tell us a little about yourself. How did you first get involved in the beauty world?
When moving from Las Vegas to California, I found myself with a lot of free after I left my family and friends back in Nevada. I started taking makeup classes online because I loved the transformations and artistry I had seen in so many YouTube videos from beauty influencers. I started posting my looks and product reviews to YouTube and Instagram and things kind of took off from there.
2. What inspired you to create your beauty and lifestyle-focused blog and social media channels?
I often spent hours scrolling through Instagram and watching YouTube videos. When my husband would get home from work, I would instantly start unloading all of my new found makeup and fashion knowledge onto him. Although he was a good sport about listening, I knew I needed to find a better outlet. I needed to find a place where I could share my own tutorials, hauls, product reviews and fashion looks.
3. What does being a body-positive influencer in this industry mean to you and why do you think it’s important to your followers?
I realized I didn’t see many women who I felt I could relate to online. As a curvy girl, I loved the outfits I saw influencers and bloggers posting but often found they didn’t come in my size. I decided I wanted to fill that void and start scouting and sharing great plus-size fashion finds and looks. We live in a society where “beauty” has often been correlated to a certain standard and size. It’s important to me that my platforms share all aspects of body positivity and break down those ideals. I want women to visit my page and feel like they have someone they can truly relate to. Someone who represents a different body shape and style. Someone who, like me, has struggled with their body image and self worth. Someone who has learned to love themselves no matter their shape or size and wants to help them do the same!
4. What do you think the hardest thing is about being a beauty influencer in the social media space?
The hardest thing for me used to be the bullying. On social media, people can be nasty and say things they would never say to your face, simply because they feel brave behind their screen. But nowadays, I could care less what those people say. In my opinion, happy people don’t spread hate, it’s as simple as that. I think the hardest thing about being a beauty influencer now is the stories I hear. The messages and comments I get from women who struggle to love themselves and their bodies because they feel like they don’t fit in or look a certain way. When someone like that comes to my page, I make it my mission to always reply back to them and not only share my own struggles, but to encourage and uplift them in their own journeys.
5. If you could only use three beauty products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- A face cleanser – I am a huge skincare advocate!
- Mascara – it really brightens and opens up the eyes.
- A lip balm – my lips just always get so dry!
6. What has been your biggest accomplishment in your career so far?
My biggest accomplishment has been the comments I get on my plus-size fashion and body positivity posts. It makes my heart explode each time I read a comment from someone who says seeing me wear a certain outfit or share a certain mindset has encouraged them to be more confident. I especially love when women come to my page and tell me how happy they are to have found it and that they feel connected to me. There was one comment in particular when a young woman told me that after finding my page and seeing the fashion finds I shared, she no longer dreaded stepping into a dressing room. It makes me so happy when my tribe sends me pictures wearing outfits I have shared!
7. You’re definitely a busy mom on the go! Can you share a few helpful beauty hacks with our readers?
- A good dry shampoo – helps extend the time between washes and keeps my hair fresh. I always keep a can in my purse.
- Sleep with your hair in a loose bun – whether straight or curled, I always keep my hair twirled in a loose bun while I sleep. It helps prevent frizz and also keeps my curls intact.. Also, the creaseless hair ties are a game changer!
- Face masks – I do face masks 3-4 times a week. They keep my skin glowing and are a great way to unwind and practice self care after a long day!
- A full coverage foundation – I rarely ever have time for touch ups and will often wear makeup for 10-12 hours some days. I use Estee Lauder Double Wear because it gives great coverage and literally last ALL day long.
This interview has been edited and condensed.
Interested in learning more from professionals in the digital marketing and beauty industries? Check out the rest of our As Told By series.