Bringing a Latin touch to the beauty world, AYRES Beauty was brought to fruition by…
Lana Gregg is the Marketing Coordinator at Black Radiance, a cosmetics brand that empowers and inspires women of color, through beauty. After years in the industry, Lana loves all things beauty and social!
- My name is: Lana Gregg
- My social handles are: @blackradiancebeauty
- My company’s website is: us.markwinsbeauty.com/about-us
1. Tell us a little about yourself. Have you always been interested in the beauty world?
I am a true beauty enthusiast. I always say if I could eat makeup, I would. I eat, sleep and breathe all things beauty and always have.
2. What or who inspired you to get into a line of digital + beauty?
Honestly, when I first began here at Black Radiance, I was thrown into the digital world of beauty with little experience. I was told within my first week that I would cover all things social, fell in love with it, and the rest is history! Now it is my life and I couldn’t imagine a single day without it.
3. What does a typical day in your life look like?
A typical day in my life is SOCIAL SOCIAL SOCIAL. I am plugged into swatch posts and YouTube tutorials from the time I wake to the time I go to bed…and I LOVE IT!
4. What is your favorite social media platform to use?
Currently, my favorite is Instagram, but my love for YouTube is slowly increasing. It is like watching reality television without a filter!
5. What are your favorite beauty products right now?
My favorite must-haves right now are illuminators and setting spray. There’s nothing like that final twinkling finishing touch to make you look and feel special.
6. What’s in your makeup bag?
Literally everything! My makeup alone weighs about 20 pounds. Needless to say, I have a hard time packing light when traveling.
7. What is a digital trend you foresee taking off this year?
I believe that all of our beloved beauty bloggers will dabble into lifestyle vlogging. We love when they glam and as followers…WE WANT MORE! We want to know what they eat, where they shop, how they hang out, and I think they love sharing that! It makes them feel like true celebrities.
8. What has been your favorite beauty product your brand has released or yet to be released?
Well, besides of course 2018 Black Radiance products… the entire Fenty Beauty lineup! Rihanna is paving the way for all of us melanin rich beauty industry gals that have been waiting around for this moment for a prestige brand to step out and unapologetically stand behind us.
9. What is one thing you have accomplished in your career that you’re extremely proud of?
I am extremely proud of my overall social media portfolio. When I began I knew nothing about social (not even how to position a halfway attractive photo!), so to watch something that I have worked so hard on with my fabulous creative and social team evolve and flourish as much as it has in this short of a time frame is mind blowing. I cannot wait to see where it takes us!
10. What is something that others might not realize about working in the digital beauty world?
I think that people from the outside do not realize how much effort goes into a single post. From the time you decide what to take a photo of, to the time it is posted, there are A LOT of steps in between that take place that no one else sees! If they did, they would be more grateful for the ones actually posting it.
11. What influencers are you loving right now?
I have to say that lately I am falling more and more in love with Jackie Aina’s content. She is unbiased, not afraid to speak her mind, and reminds me of myself.
12. What advice would you give someone who is looking to work in tech and beauty?
I would tell them to never stop learning! There is inspiration everywhere and so much to learn. The tech world changes everyday and it is our jobs to not only keep up with it, but constantly work to stay ahead! That is the true thrill of it all.
Interested in learning more from professionals in the digital marketing and beauty industries? Check out the rest of our As Told By series.